Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Helping People Getting Through Foreclosures with Jay Conner & Dwan Bent-...

When you hear the word foreclosures do your ears perk up?

They should because there is going to be a massive opportunity to help a lot of people and profit from the coming avalanche of foreclosures.

Another thing, have you ever dream of owning your business and be financially free?

If you are this episode is just right for you!

Today’s guest is America’s Most Sought-After Real Estate Investor, Dawn Bent-Twyford.

Dwan started as a broke, single mom who had been fired from Denny’s! Having nowhere to go but up, she started rehabbing foreclosures.

Fast forward 30 years to NOW. Dwan’s insane amount of investing knowledge and her unique, open-style, and down-to-earth personality make her a highly sought-after podcast guest.

She is responsible for making tons of financially free students along the way, loves to share what she has learned, and created a very simple business motto – People Before Profits.

Dwan has written three best-sellers, is a celebrity guest expert on Fox and Friends, MSNBC, local news channels, Naomi Judd’s morning show, and had been a featured guest on many TV, print media, podcasts, radio shows, and more.

Her latest book was also a New York Times Best-Seller co-written with Steve Forbes called “SuccessOnomics.” Mr. Forbes chose Dwan to help write his book because he, also, considers her to be one of the nation’s top real estate investing experts.

Dwan has closed over 2,000 real estate deals thru flipping and rehabbing. She is the founder of Dwanderful; a company that specializes in teaching real estate investors how to become millionaires and live their dreams!

Timestamp:

0:01 – Teaser: “ Get Ready To Be Plugged Into The Money”

0:29 – Introduction

1:08 – Jay’s New Book: “Where To Get The Money Now” – www.JayConner.com/Book

1:56 – Today’s guest: Dawn Bent-Twyford – www.Dwanderful.com

6:38 – How did you get started in real estate?

8:00 – What do you think real estate investors should be focusing on to be aware of the times that we are in and what strategy should they employ given what’s going on?

10:05 – In today’s market what is your best way to reach out to people affected by foreclosures?

13:35 – What does “Subject-To” mean?

19:16 – What are your preferred methods of contacting people?

22:00 – People With Servant’s Hearts

23:02 – The Fed-Up Package

24:02 – “If you don’t make it about the money, the money will come.” – Dwan Bent-Twyford

26:28 – What is your approach when you knock on people’s doors when offering deals?

32:54 – Free e-books: www.Dwanderful.com

Real Estate Cashflow Conference: https://jaysliveevent.com/live/?oprid=&ref=42135

Free Webinar: http://bit.ly/jaymoneypodcast

Jay Conner is a proven real estate investment leader. Without using his own money or credit, Jay maximizes creative methods to buy and sell properties with profits averaging $64,000 per deal.

#RealEstate #PrivateMoney #FlipYourHouse

What is Real Estate Investing? Live Cashflow Conference https://youtu.be/QyeBbDOF4wo

Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZfl6O7pRhyX5R-rRuSnK6w

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZfl6O7pRhyX5R-rRuSnK6w

RSS Feed:

https://realestateinvestingdeals.mypodcastworld.com/rss2.xml

Google Play:

https://music.youtube.com/googleplaymusic#/ps/Ihrzsai7jo7awj2e7nhhwfsv47y

iTunes:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/real-estate-investing-jay-conner-private-money-authority/id1377723034

Listen to our Podcast:

https://realestateinvestingdeals.mypodcastworld.com/11062/helping-people-getting-through-foreclosures-with-jay-conner-dwan-bent-twyford

---------------------------------

Jay Conner (00:02):

If you are a real estate investor, or you want to be a real estate investor, and you're looking for funding for your deals, not relying on banks, not relying on mortgage companies, not relying on hard money lenders, then don't go anywhere because I'm getting ready to plug you into the money right now.


Jay Conner (00:30):

Hello there folks, and welcome to another episode of Real Estate Investing with Jay Conner. I'm Jay Conner known as the Private Money Authority. And if you're new to the show, we talk all things real estate. We talk about how to find deals. Unlike other real estate investors. We talk about how to get your deals funded. And as I mentioned, just a moment ago, I'm getting ready to plug you into the money. But before I do that, I just want to remind you that I have amazing guest and experts that come on here to the show with me today is no exception. I'm going to be introducing her in just a moment. But before I do, I've got a free gift for you. You see, I just released my new book, which is titled where to get the money now. And the subtitle is how and where to get money for your real estate deals without relying on traditional or hard money lenders.


Jay Conner (01:21):

When now you can go over to Amazon and pay 20 bucks for it plus shipping, or you can just let me give it to you for free. Now we'll be totally transparent. I am going to ask you to cover a couple of bucks for shipping and handling, but I will send you the book for free so you can get this book go right on over to www.JayConner.com/Book. And we'll rush the book right on out to you. Well, I tell you, I'm so excited to have my guest on today and here's the deal. When you hear the word foreclosures, do your ears perk up? Well, they should, because what's going on in our economy these days there's going to be a massive opportunity to help a lot of people and profit from this foreclosure avalanche, is coming.


Jay Conner (02:18):

Another question. Do you dream of owning your own business? Do you ever think about being financially free about taking the best vacations in the world? Well, let me tell you something you are in for one big treat today because my special guests that I'm gonna be bringing on is America's most sought after real estate investor, and yes, she's going to be the guest today. Well, she started out as a broke single mom who had been fired from Denny's. Can you imagine being fired from Denny's restaurant, having nowhere to go, but up she started rehabbing foreclosures. So my guests and I have got a lot in common to talk about. Now you want to fast forward to about 30 years down the road to now she is insane. She's got an insane amount of investing knowledge and her unique open style and down to earth personality make her a very highly sought after podcast guest.


Jay Conner (03:19):

That's why I've got it here on the show. So she's agreed to answer any real estate in questions that I'm going to throw at her. Well, she's responsible for making tons of students financially free along the way. She loves to share what she's learned. And she's created a very simple business motto, and that is people before profits. I love that she's written three best sellers. She's been a celebrity guest and she is a celebrity guest expert on Fox and Friends, MSNBC local news channels, Naomi Judd's morning show, and has been featured as a guest on many TV print media's podcast, radio shows and even more. So her latest book was also a New York times bestseller written with Steve Forbes called Success a Nomics when Mr. Forbes chose her to help write his book because he also consider my guests to be one of the nation's top real estate investing experts.


Jay Conner (04:17):

Well, my, I guess has closed over 2000 real estate deals through flipping and rehabbing. And she is the founder of Dwanderful.com. You're going to find out where that name comes from and just a moment. And that is a company that specializes in teaching real estate investors, how to become millionaires and live their dreams of her current project is huge. She and her family basically bought a town and are restoring the whole town. We can't wait to hear about that. So she's going to be telling us that story. In addition to that, she also has a top rated podcast, which is called The Most Dwanderful Real Estate Podcasts Ever. So you will be able to, you want to be sure and follow her there. So it's my pleasure, as I'm so excited to have here on the show with me today. Real estate investing expert Dwan Bent-Twyford hello there. Dwan and welcome to the show.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:12):

Hi Jay. It is so good to see you. Can you hear me?


Jay Conner (05:24):

Hello there Dwan. Are you there?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:26):

I Am. Can you hear me?


Jay Conner (05:29):

I got kicked off the internet the for just a second.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:30):

It's so good to see you Jay I've missed you.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:30):

I have missing you too as well. In my lands. There's been a big change in the market. Since we saw each other a few years ago, right?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:44):

I gotta show you something. Look at that.


Jay Conner (05:52):

I am impressed. You have still, you still got my business card.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (05:57):

This is the most beautiful business card I've ever laid my eyes on. And I keep a little plastic thing in my book because I'm like, I want to see Jay someday. I want him to see I've got your card. It's Wonderful. I'm going to totally steal and copy this concept.


Jay Conner (06:16):

Oh, wow. You go, well, look, I'll introduce you.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (06:20):

Beautiful.


Jay Conner (06:20):

I spoke with my business card representative this morning and yeah, they're solid brass, solid brass business cards.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (06:30):

Look how good shape it is, I keep it polished up. I'm like, Oh, there's my man, Jay,


Jay Conner (06:36):

Well Dwan, I want you to tell the audience. I mean, my lands you've been in real estate and been investing for a number of years, but how'd you get started?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (06:45):

So. I actually started when I was 30. So shockingly, I am 62 years old now. So it's really been a long time since I started investing, but you know, I was married. I had a baby, she was eight months old and her dad and I had kind of suddenly split up. And so now I haven't had a baby. I don't have any jobs. I mean, I've literally been fired from Denny's. So I have clearly no job skills. And I just decided I needed to figure out a way to make money and to raise my daughter because I really didn't want to put her in daycare. So really Jay that was sort of the deciding factor for me is I had waited till I was 30. I was going to raise kids. I was going to be like the homeroom mom, the mom that makes the cookies, the girl Scouts, the brownies, and suddenly being single with no help and no money and no income. I was you know, thrown into a really dark spot. And so I just want to set out on a path, looking for something that I could do and work from home and raise my daughter and I found real estate investing.


Jay Conner (07:59):

Awesome. So in the introduction when I was bringing you on the show and you've got a ton of experience in foreclosures rehabbing deals and et cetera. So I want to get your take on this. So, you know, we had, COVID come along and we've had foreclosures, you know, want to stay or put on a pause. What are you seeing over the next say year or two? What do you think? What do you think real estate investors should be focusing on to really be aware of, you know, the times that we're in and, and you know, what strategies should they be employing given what's going on?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (08:41):

Yeah, that is such a good question. Jay people, I don't think the general public recognizes that when the bank keeps postponing and postponing the mortgage, it doesn't mean that the bank is going to automatically me get, remember this was last March until now we're 15 months. And the people not having had to have made mortgage payments. And I don't believe that bank is just going to stick all the payments on the back and say, okay, make your payment in July. So what's going to happen is the bank is gonna want all the payments now and people aren't going to have them. And so it's going to cop, I keep telling people it's going to cost like a tsunami of foreclosures because the bank has everybody in a forbearance agreement. Now I know that you know, what a forbearance agreement is, but for the listeners that don't when you're in a forbearance agreement, that means that if you, what happens is the bank takes all the back payments and they divide them up over maybe 12 or 18 months, and they add them on top of the mortgage payment. So you're going to have all these people that have a mortgage payment that was 2000, and now it's 750 bucks because they divided the payments over 18 months. And now it went to 2,700 and people aren't going to be able to make their payments.


Jay Conner (10:04):

Exactly. So, you know, you've been tracking and watching the foreclosure market for many, many years in today's market. What is your best way or your favorite way to actually reach out to these people that are either behind on payments or in foreclosure to communicate with them, to offer a solution to their problem?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (10:28):

Well, I think one of the easiest things for, especially for a new real estate investor is to get online with the County courthouse. The County courthouse shows all the people that are in foreclosure. And I understand there's like a moratorium on actually foreclosing on people, but that doesn't mean people aren't getting placed into the foreclosure process. So you're going to find online, not online at the courthouse. You can find all the foreclosures, the people going through divorce, that people filing bankruptcy the probates, you can find all of those people online as free. So for someone that's new, doesn't have a lot of money doing a lot of experience, you know, free, always free is always great free is great, but what's happening is a lot of people are literally just moving out of their houses and they're moving back with family and families are starting to live together again.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (11:26):

And people are just walking away because they're not going to be able to catch back up. So that's going to cause two things it's going to cause short sales to go crazy. Again, there's a banks are going to have a kid, Joanne houses sitting there that with people that are in foreclosure and it's going to cause the bank to do loan modifications, which is where the bank runs, your credit checks if you have income, you know, make sure you have a job and all that. And then they, they may take the payments and put them on the back and, you know, get you back on track. But you have to qualify for that. So if you're still on unemployment and you are, you're making less or part-time, you're not going to qualify. So that's going to put people in a situation of being in a forbearance or in foreclosure or just walking. So I'm telling real estate investors, what's the top two things I feel is subject to's and short sales.


Jay Conner (12:23):

I agree with it. You know, I haven't done a short sale in years, quite frankly. And like you just said if somebody doesn't know how to work, the short sale process, or at least have a real estate agent or somebody on their team to negotiate short sales, they sure need to get educated on that. I'm sure you would agree.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (12:42):

Right now. I've been doing a lot of webinars lately telling people, listen, there's a short-sale wave coming. And it's kind of like the 2008, like you really, it's kind of like you need to get prepared. It's already here. Like right now, this is one of those things where, you know, you have to have all those like multilevel marketing companies and people go get in on the ground level. And then yeah, five years later, it's already blown up. We're at a situation where we have like a brand new ground level today. Like this is the day and not wait and see, let me see how the market, let me wait, six months, let me see what's going to happen. Investors need to be investing this very minute. And the fact that you can help people raise private money, you put those two things together and the money aspect and the millions of foreclosures and even the short sales. And that's like a perfect marriage.


Jay Conner (13:35):

Yeah, you're right. Yeah. I tell my students, like, I'm sure you tell your students as well. You mentioned subject to. So if the shorts, if the seller of the house can not get their payments current, they're going into foreclosure. Well, that's the perfect way to fund that deal is the buy it's subject to the existing note. And so for the sake of all of our listeners here, why don't you give, why don't you give a 60 to 90 second seminar on what in the world does subject to means?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (14:08):

I'll do my best. It's really hard to like crunch it down until like a minute. But the gist of it is you find a homeowner that's behind on payments. They cannot catch up. They did not qualify for a loan modification. The bank is going to take their house and you make a deal with them basically where they deed the property to you. And then if you can make up those back payments, you can just start making the payments and you can keep it for a rental. You know? So you're owning the house without having to actually get a mortgage for the property. So for investors right now that have a little bit of cash, you come across the homeowner, they're like, Hey, listen, I'm 15 months. I can't make it up. I don't really care. I'm willing to walk away. You've give them a couple thousand dollars cash for keys, moving money.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (14:56):

They give their house to you. You're the owner and you turn it into a rental or you offer it out. What I do is offer them out as seller financing or financing. So I find a new person that really wants a house, but they can't qualify for the bank, but they've got the money and the income now and I subject to it. So it's sort of a, yeah, a little bit complicated for a new person. But the gist of it is this person that owns it can keep it. They're willing to deed it to you. And then you can make it a rental and an income producing property for yourself.


Jay Conner (15:30):

Exactly.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (15:30):

Just by signing that deed, and you're the owner. And it's all done, it's a one and done,


Jay Conner (15:38):

Right? You know, one of the most common questions I'll get from new real estate investors has never heard of that strategy. They'll say, well, who in their right mind would agree to deed me their house and keep the mortgage in their name? And I tell them I'm going to make their payments. Well, the answer is a motivated seller that is looking for debt relief.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (15:59):

Yes. That's probably the number one question I also get. And I tell people, I say, you know, like to a brand new student, I would say, listen, you have to understand you're not in that situation. That person doesn't want to lose their house to foreclosure. If I made their payments every month that I make an on-time payment, their credit gets better. So if I say, Hey, Jay deed your house to me, I'll make payments. And in five years, I'll refinance it, take your name off of it and release you have the obligation. I make all the payments on time for five years, you had a foreclosure, you were doing bad, then you have five years of perfect payments. Your credit is great now. So it helps them Re-Establish their credit, opposed to letting go to the bank and going through the entire foreclosure process, which as, you know, gives them a foreclosure on their credit and not see their credit score down like 150 points. So a subject to is a benefit for them, of course, as long as the investor makes the payments. So yeah, I tell people if your motto is not people before profits, and you're a scum ball, don't do this.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (17:06):

No, Exactly.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (17:06):

It's good for the homeowner and it relieves them. They just, you know, they're at the point where they just want to leave. They're like, I don't even care. I just want out, they don't think that way, but it is a common, I'm sure you get this almost the same question all of the time.


Jay Conner (17:26):

Exactly. so yeah, so if someone, so just to make sure everybody understands, if someone's in foreclosure, but their house has not gone to sale yet. And the courthouse steps, then buying it subject to the existing note is the preferred way for you to buy it. Now you got to have the cashflow to bring those back payments current. And of course you can use private money in a small second position. If you don't have the cash yourself to bring it current. Now you mentioned private money a moment ago, a Dwan and that is there's another kind of foreclosure and the other kind of foreclosure of what we call bank owned properties. So it's too late to help the people. Then right?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (18:09):

Yes.


Jay Conner (18:09):

Now it's going back to the bank and with an REO or Real Estate Under Bank Owned, can't buy those foreclosures are subject to cause the seller is not on the picture. So we have to use the private money. Of course.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (18:26):

So I'm sorry. So one of the, I just jump in real quick. So one of the things that's great about private money is if someone finds a homeowner and they're able to do a short sale, and then, you know, you have a 200,000 on a house, the bank agrees to take 125. You have to buy the house. And a lot of investors are like, well, I don't have the money or the credit or this or that. And that's why they need a private money because the banks like, Hey, I'll take 50% of the deal, but you're not going to make payments to us. You have to buy it. You can rehab it. You can do whatever you want do with it, but you still got to buy it. So I'm always telling people, you've got to find private money. If you want to play in that section of real estate investing, someone's got to step up and give you cash.


Jay Conner (19:14):

Exactly. So I got another question for you while we're on the topic of foreclosures. So we know how to locate these. I mean, they're people that their houses are in foreclosure. Hasn't gone to sale yet. It's public record. So what is your preferred method or methods of contacting these people? How do you get up with them that you knock on their door or do you mail them a letter? Do you skip trace them? What do you do


Dwan Bent-Twyford (19:41):

You know? I gotta tell ya. It's been 30 years. I still like to go door knocking. And I know people are thinking like, Oh, if I have to door knock, I'm not gonna do it. But when you show up at their door, nobody does that. And people psychologically think like, Oh my gosh, they're going to be mad. They're going to scream. They're going to yell. They're going to slam the door in my face. But people are so grateful and they're so happy. And there's just so they're really like, Oh my gosh, somebody came to try to help me, I can't believe it. So I still like to go door knocking. I still do it today that we just bought 15 buildings in Iowa. And we went and talked to all the people in person. None of them are listed, they weren't the MLS. We wouldn't talk to people in person.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (20:32):

But I also understand that if you're hearing me say that and you're like, Oh my gosh, no, I'm not door knocking. You could mail postcards. I guess postcards would be the next best thing. Send the people a postcard and let them know that you have a solution to their property problems. Don't have a postcard that says I buy houses cash. I have a postcard that says something like, are you facing foreclosure question mark, behind on payments question mark, did COVID you know, mess you up, question mark, whether bankruptcy question mark, I have solutions for your property problems. Call me for a free consultation. And let me see how I can help you. So suppose cards would be my, but a soft postcard. I hate when people say I'm a house with cash and I see you call me. People are looking for a solution and they don't need to feel like you're some investor that just wants I buy houses cash. So I don't like that approach. I feel like when you, when you make a card that says, Hey, are you in bankruptcy? Question one, going through a divorce, unwanted property question mark. So like, yes. Oh, a free private consultation. Okay. Let me just call and see. So it's a soft opening.


Jay Conner (21:47):

I love it. Well, and what I love about.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (21:51):

They''ll spill their guts and tell you what's wrong.


Jay Conner (21:53):

Well, what I love about you Dwan is your motto people before profits. And, and I say all the time, if you're coming to the table with a servant's heart, genuinely interested in the other person, it's always going to pay off. And you know what? for example, when people respond to our letters and we have a series of eight letters that are soft, like you're talking about that are people in foreclosure when they respond to our letters and getting on the phone. And one of the first questions we ask is, do you want to keep your property? Do you want to keep your house? And if the answer is yes, then we tell them upfront, we're not attorneys. I'm not certified in any kind of way, but I do have a lot of experience in giving people ideas on how to help them keep their house. So we got a list of 10 ways that we go over and guess what? If they ended up keeping their house, me and my team get nothing out of that direct, but you know what, what goes around comes around. How many people you think they're going to tell.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (22:57):

It's so funny you said that we have this thing called The Fed Up Package and it says, are you fed up with foreclosure? These are your 10 options. And the 10 options. The first one is loan modification. Cause that's usually the first thing that the bank asks for. So it's got a loan modification, forbearance agreement, equity partner, short sale, subject to bankruptcy, keep your house real estate, sell it. It's got all these options. And that's what we tell people too, like, listen, we're just going to help you buy time to stay in your house or help you stay if we can. But if we can't, then we're here to buy it from you. And I agree with that. So much with what you say, because initially they're not usually like, Oh my gosh, I want sell my house to a real estate investor. They don't know what to do. So when you offer them the help and questions and you help them, I agree with you. You do the good, and then the money comes. So if you don't make it about money and money will come.


Jay Conner (24:02):

Now that's a writer downer right there. If you don't make it about money, the money will come, in fact, you know what Dwan, every time I can look back over my entire business career. Anytime I have gotten involved in any kind of venture and my primary motive and only motive was the money never happened.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (24:26):

They' fell apart don't they?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (24:26):

I mean, well, I never got off the ground. Like, you know, back in the, you know, 30, 30, 40 years ago, I mean, shiny object syndrome, the multi-level marketing opportunity comes around and I'm chasing it. And the only thing I'm chasing is the money. And guess what? The more you chase money, the more it eludes you, right? Yeah.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (24:49):

I get that, I tell people, I say, listen, I know I'm an open book. I said, when I did my first couple of deals, my husband was in jail. So I had a husband in jail. I had a daughter, I had no income. I had nothing. And my first few deals that were completely about the money because I didn't have any. And I also went through foreclosure when I lost the house in foreclosure. So the very first like two deals, I was just like, okay, how do I help this for the, I gotta make money. I gotta make money. But it only took me like three or four deals to recognize, especially cause of weirdly enough, my first like 10 deals were all with single women. And I thought, you know, they're going through what I went through. I just need to help them. I wish somebody would have helped me.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (25:32):

And if I help them, it'll be okay. So it only took me six months to recognize if I make it about the money. It's not going to work. I might just help people out make money because you know, you reap what you sow. So, but I'm in my very first deal. I only cared about making money and feed that baby. And I, you know, I, I did a very fair deal with them. We did an, it actually, we did an equity split on my first deal, which is insane to the district. What I was doing with a handshake. We made a deal like a hug and a handshake. Okay. We're going to split the money. And I was like, what was I thinking? But you know, I didn't know. So thank God it worked out. But yeah, within just a few months, I was like, you know what? I'm just going to help people. And I know that I'll make money and I never worried about the money after that. Like never again. Did I worry with all 30 years later? I never worried about the money.


Jay Conner (26:27):

Exactly. Well, I got one more question for you before we wrap up. And here's the question I'm really interested in because I mean, you are an expert on door knocking and you know, being right there in person. What is your approach when you knock on the door, I'm even out of the detail of the step, back down the steps. Do you stop, stay away from the door? What happens? You knock on the door and watch your like bullet point scripting. When they answered the door,


Dwan Bent-Twyford (26:57):

That is such a good question. So basically, you know, I have like I usually have, like, I have something in my hand, like a clipboard looking thing and I got my pen and I'm like, they answered it. I'm like, Hey Mary. And the way, yes. So I have this clipboard and on it is actually all of the foreclosure. So I print them out so that their name is on a list and I can physically show them this list. And I just say, Hey, my name is Dwan and I'm a full-time real estate investor. And we specialize in helping folks that have a problem with their property. And I'd really like to know what I can do to help you out, and what have you done so far? Just that simple. And they'll say like, Oh, you know, I don't have a problem.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (27:43):

I said, well, see this list right here. Your name is on here. So this says you have a problem, but you know, it could be wrong, but let's just talk about your situation. And then they'll say, well, I'm behind a couple of payments. And then I hand them my fed-up with foreclosure package. And I say, well, these are 10 options that you can do to try to buy time, to stay in your home or sell it if you want to. And these are your options. Let me give you free information. But the 30 page packet, here's some free information. Let's talk about some of these options and see what you've been doing and see what we can do to make things work out. So by handing them that information packet, it takes the first of all, it takes the pressure off of me to conversate with them.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (28:28):

It also takes the pressure off of them to be like, Oh my gosh, why is this woman at my door? And we're looking at this paper, we're talking about, did you try a loan modification? Did you try forbearance agreement? Did you try this? Did you try that? And then, and then they open up and they'll start talking to me. So it's really a simple, it's just like, I specialize in helping folks. Like you solve their problems. I know what I can do to help you out. And almost always, I don't have a problem. And they're like, well, I've got all these foreclosures right here. Cause I printed from the courthouse and there's your name right there. So maybe it's a mistake. So let's just talk about it for a minute. And they open right up. But I do step back, I do step back because you know, it's COVID but I stepped back anyway because a lot of times it's just a woman answers the door. And if you're right there, like, you know, you don't want to scare the person either. So I stepped back about three feet and then I talk, unless I hand them the information, they just blurt out everything that's happening.


Jay Conner (29:30):

Right.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (29:33):

My crazy husband and you know how bill looks, and everybody loves us.


Jay Conner (29:40):

Most of them invite you in


Dwan Bent-Twyford (29:43):

Sometimes. Yeah, they do. Typically. I don't, I used to always just go in and sit and talk with people. But I find that what happens is when they invite you in, you end up sitting down with them for three hours and they're telling you all the things that are wrong and why they're not a loser and how this, you know, they don't know what happened. And if they don't work with you, you wasted so much time.


Jay Conner (30:10):

Right.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (30:10):

So what I say now is, and it's not that I don't want to listen, but I've had that happened to me, hundreds, thousands. I've had, it happened to me thousands of times where I spent three hours with someone that didn't work with me and I can't like give them a seminar. You know? So now what I do is I say, Hey, listen, I'd love to come in and talk, but I have to talk to all these people on this list today. Let me get your phone number. And you I want you to look at this package and I'll call you back tomorrow. It's like, it's short and they can look through the package. I called them the next day. And then on the phone, I can get more to the point. Do you want to move? Do you want to stay? What's your financial situation? How can I help you?


Jay Conner (30:52):

Yeah.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (30:56):

So I don't come in anymore. I did for, I mean for like a decade. And then I'd be in there and they're like, then they're like making me tea and we're having cookies. And next thing you know, I was like, Oh my gosh, I've been here two hour what am I doing? I haven't stopped doing that. Cause you know, I like to talk and then they talk and they see, you know, it's like the next day.


Jay Conner (31:16):

Oh my word mercy. The so you get their information. You follow up with them. So now your average visit is what? 10 minutes?


Dwan Bent-Twyford (31:25):

Tops, 10 minutes tops. Yeah!


Jay Conner (31:29):

So, it sounds to me like your objective is to give them the packet and get their phone number. And you're pretty much done.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (31:39):

I'm done for today. My objective is to get a phone number. Even if they say I don't want help, I'm not interested. Then I say, well, let me lead this information package because it's free, but let me have your phone number so I can double check and see why your name is on this list. Now, techically I can't get them off the list at the courthouse, but I can certainly call the courthouse and say, Hey, is this person scheduled for foreclosure? So when I call them to say, look, I called the courthouse and you got to foreclosure sale date 90 days. So something's going on there? What do you think about the package? And I can talk to them. So my objective is to get a phone number, call them back, let them read it, actually make a phone call if I need to. But I, I want their phone number because I just, I can't, I just can't stand there. And talk like I used to, I learned to value my time and I also learned that people want to talk and it doesn't mean they want to work with you.


Jay Conner (32:40):

That's excellent. Well, I know you got some free gifts. You got four books that you want to give people. So let's tell folks how they can stay connected with you.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (32:53):

So all the hats. So my name is Dwan. So my website is www.Dwanderful.com, Like wonderful, but you know, Dwanderful. So if you just go to www.Dwanderful.com and opt in. I've got four free eBooks. One is the book I wrote with Steve Forbes, one is a book my husband wrote with Dan Kennedy, about marketing. one is about short sales and one's about how to flip houses. So I get four free eBooks. It'll get you on the path and at least expand your mind and understand a little bit more about this foreclosure side of real estate investing and go from there.


Jay Conner (33:35):

Well, I'll tell you Dwan the books are very timely with what's going on in our market. So again, folks, you can go over to www.Dwanderful.com. Well Dwan, thank you so much for joining me on the show. What a treat to have you on.


Dwan Bent-Twyford (34:13):

Thank you, Jay. You look so great. I'm so happy to see you. You just look great.


Jay Conner (34:17):

Well, I appreciate it so much. And you do too well. Look, we'll be in touch Dwan and thank you so much for offering the audience the wonderful gifts that you did. And so there you have it. Another episode of Real Estate Investing with Jay Conner I'm Jay Conner, the Private Money Authority wishing you all the best and here's to taking your business to the next level. I'll see you on the next Real Estate Investing with Conner.

No comments: